“Unless water use is drastically reduced, severe water shortage will affect the entire planet by 2040. There will be no water by 2040 if we keep doing what we’re doing today”.
– Professor Benjamin Sovacool, Aarhus University, Denmark.
This Project Description centres around the following quoted facts:
”A 2017 report found that, in 2015 alone, the fashion industry consumed 79 billion cubic meters of water — enough to fill 32 million Olympic-size swimming pools. That figure is expected to increase by 50% by 2030. It’s a staggering amount since Earth ’s water resources are running low.
If the global population rises as expected to 8.5 billion people by 2030, it is projected that the overall apparel consumption will rise by 63%, from 62 million tons today to 102 million tons in 2030. This means that the dema nd for clothing with increase at an alarming rate.”
“Changes are needed – and quickly!
According to the World Resources Institute, drought will affect between up to 40 percent of the planet already by 2020. In India, water demand is expected to exceed available water resources by up to 50 percent by 2030.”
In order to prevent a situation 10-20 years from now, where humanity has more people on earth than we can provide clothes for, and where droughts threaten our existence, there is a need for a Paradigm shift in the clothing industry. This project initiates the creation of a new transforming fabric/material, with both health technology; smart textiles that digitally transform/project the appearance/style/texture; and muscle supporting fibers incorporated to name a few. Many other technologies could be built into or added to the material further into the project.
The template design could have the shape of a bodysuit/one-piece, which can be transformed digitally to change texture, material, colour, and shape; like a projection, but without using more fabric or natural resources. Much like the E-gaming community changes their Avatars “skins” in the game in a click, so shall we as humans need to do if clothes should be enough for everyone on the planet by 2030; and the cultural heritage of Fashion could then continue to exist in a more sustainable world, without overproduction; overconsumption and overuse of natural resources.
Culminating Project Theoretical Framework
In order to put this project together, an Interdisciplinary team of professionals needs to merge the existing technologies together into one multifunctional unit, some technologies (or similar) that for example can be implemented are:
– Manufactured Nano particles ENP-Engineered Nano Particles (to understand how a new material behave on a small and large scale).
– Smart Textile fibers (Textile muscles)- A Base for the new material construction, in which technology is implemented afterwards onto the Electrically leading Polymers or electroactive material/Exoskeleton technology.
– Built in Electrodes in a device or integrated into the fibers (VitalPro example) which alerts viruses, or health risks in real time and saves the data in an app, which can be used upon arrival at the hospital or sent straight to the Doctor. The devices will need a non-personal serial number system (AI modulated) to ensure that the personal data follows GDPR rules and that no release of the data to commercial sources is possible. The user has full control over the data, and chooses whom to share it with.
– Energy Harvesting Textiles-Woven Piezo Electrical leading thread combined with electrical leading thread (24fiber tech) (Electricity is created when a material is deformated).
– Nano Textiles-To kill bacteria and dirt and have a self-cleaning function, but still be Hydrophobic in it’s outer shell.
– Polygiene Viraloff-Antivirus thriving function that could be incorporated. (Does not cover mutated viruses which is why Vitalpor also needs to be incorporated parallel).
– RGB led fiber optical fabric-In order to digitally transform the appearance of the fabric into Fashion/Alternative appearance.
– Neuroflow-Mental wellness monitor, and stress locator incorporated (To detect and prevent mental illness).
– Myofascial trigger point locator-Needs to be invented or merged with the VitalPro function to locate muscle tension/ache before overload.